Saturday, March 24, 2007

Woman vs. Wild

I am not sure if you have seen the show Man vs. Wild, but it is about this guy aptly named Bear who is dropped off in various remote areas and has to survive while he gets himself back to civilization. While I definitely have a leg up on him in the food department, I've never eaten roots or bugs, I do not know if he could actually survive three children under the age of four. I have particular doubts about his ability to survive a 3 1/2 year old and a 21 month old finger painting.
On Wednesday, I decided that it would be great if we finger painted. So, the three of us, C. was napping, decided to go into the kitchen and shut the gate, thereby confining the boys to the kitchen. They were thrilled to be painting, but things quickly deteriorated and I mean less than ten minutes. The boys were painting on large pieces of paper on the floor, so feet became involved. This was great, very cute until the paint was all over the floor and everyone started to slip.
I quickly figured out that there was no way I could leave either child alone in the kitchen while I took someone to the bathroom to be hosed down. So I put H. on my back and S. clung to my front. A split second before I put my foot down on the beige (ridiculous color for a living room with small children) carpet I realized that I had paint all over my feet. Luckily there were two plastic shopping bags on the counter. I put one on each foot and off we went to the bathroom. The paint came off there bodies very easily. As soon as I had them cleaned up and out of the tub. I started working on the kitchen. If you ever doubt the amount of surface area that your children touch, let them into the kitchen with paint on their hands. You will have a new appreciation for the amount that you must clean and sanitize.
I will not get into the gory details, because recently someone pointed out that I talk about poop a great deal in my blog. S. walked over to the gate and held up a brown finger and said one word, "MESS." Needless to say I abandoned cleaning up washable finger paint. S. strikes again. YUCK!!
I wish I had some beautifully painted pictures to post on the site, but everything just ended up a part of the mess. I think we will wear beach shoes next time.

No comments: