Saturday, March 31, 2007

I Miss Germany

We left Germany just about a year and a half ago. When we left I was sooo ready to get back to the States. I missed Walmart and being able to buy whatever whenever I needed it. I had really started to hate feeling like a foreigner. I felt a huge weight lift from my shoulders when we landed in Dallas. It didn't take long for me to start missing things about Germany. I miss the beer and the country dining (pork, pork, and more pork.) I really miss our quarters, sigh, we had really great quarters. At the time we were stationed there I took some things for granted. It really drove me nuts that I couldn't go places without someone noticing or commenting. I always saw someone I knew at the commissary especially if I didn't take the time to shower or if I was feeling grumpy. We lived on a pretty small installation, so now that I live on a very large post, I miss knowing the person at the checkout at the PX. I also miss having people who cared if I left the house and was gone all day or even if I hadn't left the house in a week. I miss my neighbors that lived on the street. Here no one hangs out on the street, everyone is to themselves. I miss the guys that worked in the training room. Now when I go to my husband's office, the guys know who I am but hardly anyone speaks. I miss the CDC, I particularly miss Miss Darla. If you were stationed in Vilseck and you had small kids, you know Miss Darla, she was the best teacher/caregiver I have met. She was awesome!!!
Even though the familiarity of living in a small community made me nuts sometimes, I really miss it. I miss the friends I made there. I have been reading the blogs of some ladies that were living where I was and I feel like I missed out on some great people. I think sometimes when you are out of your comfort zone it is difficult to see two feet from your face. Two deployments surely didn't help!! I am not sure how I would have gotten to know some of them, but I marvel sometimes at how much I have in common with them and how interesting they all are. It makes me appreciate being an Army wife and having the opportunity to meet some really great women.

Oh, I MISS GERMAN BEER!!!! I was pregnant or breastfeeding most of the time we were in Germany, so I definitely did not get my fill of the beer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...I love this blog entry! I miss Germany too! I really miss Miss Darla - she was so great. I keep begging Hank to go back....