Monday, August 6, 2007

Walter Reed

Today the boys and I went to Walter Reed. We had to pick up some paper work for H so he can start pre-k. How do you explain to a very curious preschooler why that young man is in a wheelchair and does not have his legs? I told H that the man had a boo boo, serious understatement I know, but I can't tell him that the man was hurt in Iraq, because his daddy will be going back to Iraq or Afghanistan and I don't want to scare him. I know kids his age tuck that kind of info away. It is amazing to see these young men, I know there are also young women, but we have only seen men. I am starting to lose count of the amputees that we have seen. I have only seen one person that was missing only one limb. Mostly we see double amputees. The most incredible thing about these young guys is that not a single one is hanging his head. They are all going about there business. I am amazed by there strength. These guys are defining the word HERO, these wounded warriors. I on the other hand get back in the car and cry a little, it breaks my heart to see the young guys missing limbs. It also scares me to death, because I know that my husband is going back.

No comments: